Optical tweezers have found many applications in the Sciences. The miniscule forces that light exerts on micron-size particles have empowered scientists, particularly those in biomedicine, enabling them to perform important studies on single molecules, cells and colloids without inflicting damage.
The harnessing of these light forces, known as optical tweezing, has for many years been dabbled in by only a brave few. That's mainly because the technique is difficult and multi-faceted, involving lasers, microscopes, imaging systems, specialized software and complex opto-mechanical design.
Indeed, many a student has cut their PhD by designing and building an optical tweezer to spend their post-doc time undertaking meaningful experimentation. The design, integration and testing process for a useful calibrated system typically requires one to two years — a threshold too high for many researchers. This is why Elliot Scientific decided to develop complete systems that would work straight from the box. We deliver fully integrated working systems allowing the user to start their research from day one.
Elliot Scientific offers the most comprehensive range of optical tweezer systems available:
• Several component based “open architecture” optical tweezer systems
• Self-contained portable, desktop single beam optical tweezer workstations
• Single spot optical tweezer for integration with commercial microscopes
• Multiple spot optical tweezer under full computer control integrated with commercial microscopes
• Force Measurement accessory for single trap stiffness using a Quadrant Photodetector
• Force Measurement accessory for multiple trap stiffness and particle tracking using Camera Particle Tracking
Whether you seek to start with an economical “open architecture” optical tweezer, add capability to your existing microscope, purchase a fully integrated multiple spot tweezer with Force Measurement, then Elliot Scientific can meet your needs.