Remote Pipeline, Perimeter, and Structural Monitoring
Distributed Strain and Temperature Sensing (DSTS)
Foresight™, from OZ Optics, is a sophisticated Distributed Strain and Temperature Sensor (DSTS) system based on Brillouin scattering in an optical fibre. It can measure subtle changes in both temperature and strain along the length of the fibre over time, or the rapid location detection of a major disturbance within a second.
By wrapping or embedding a fibre inside a structure, such as an oil pipeline or dam, detection of the structure being strained or heated/cooled is possible, allowing for pre-emptive maintenance. Such monitoring capability is invaluable in critical structures where cracks and failure could involve loss of life or other unprecedented costs.
Foresight™ can also detect and report larger signals within one second with only a slight loss of accuracy. This sort of response speed is ideal for security applications or strains caused by earthquakes where an immediate measurement and reaction may be required.
- Live measurement of strain and temperature
- BOTDA and OTDR, and/or BOTDR in one device
- Fibre configuration:
- Loop: Up to 100 km round-trip sensing range
- Single-ended: Up to 70 km
- Multiple channel monitoring
- Real-time fault point detection
- High spatial strain and temperature resolution
- Uses standard telecom fibre
- Power line monitoring
- Crack detection
- Fire detection
- Security monitoring
- Bridge, dam, and building monitoring
- Oil and gas pipeline/well monitoring
- Corrosion/Erosion monitoring
- Structural health monitoring (SHM)
- Smart structures
BOTDA - Brillouin Optical Time Domain Analysis
BOTDR - Brillouin Optical Time Domain Reflectometry
OTDR - Optical Time Domain Reflectometry
OZ Optics CEO Ömür Sezerman details the company's product range
in this video from Photonics West 2012, courtesy of Laser Focus World
OZ Optics website.